What’s included - The EcoSwell Experience
We have added this section at the request of our past volunteers/interns. Time after time they have expressed their amazement upon arriving in Lobitos on how much more we were providing, but were not stating in our website. So here it goes…
Your financial contribution includes:
- Peruvian food - categorised as some of the best in world. You’ll get all your meals included within the EcoSwell house as part of your contribution. This includes, meats, fresh seafood, fresh fruit and vegetables, milk, coffee… you name it we have it, and more (as you’ll probably try new fruits you didn’t know existed)! You will be amazed at how much stronger you’ll feel after a few days with us.
- Comfortable accommodation throughout your stay with an office workplace/resources and large kitchen. You will have access to a shared bathroom and shower. We have a chill-out living room with a DVD player (although you will probably find that you won’t use it with all the other activities that we do)....
- Pre-departure logistics organisation and guidance. From the moment you contact us, we’ll guide you through the application process in a friendly manner and once selected, help you plan your trip, guiding you on best routes, etc.
- Transport within Lobitos and airport pickup/drop-off from Talara. Once we’ve helped you plan your logistics and you’ve made your way to Talara, we’ll pick you up and drive you to Lobitos. Once you are with us, we’ll be able to drive you to where you need to go as long as it’s in your project’s and stay’s best interest.
- Constant one-on-one guidance and support from the bilingual EcoSwell Directors team to ensure positive work results. Friendly and knowledgeable, our interdisciplinary team from various professional branches will be there for you. You will learn the importance of working with members of distinct disciplines, build friendships with our team and with the EcoSwell international community. No doubt about it.
- Firsthand experience on running a sustainable development NGO - you will be involved in decision making processes. Extremely useful experience which will expand your knowledge on international development and make you grow professionally.
- Facilitation of local contacts including community leaders, organizations, local government and universities. You will have all of EcoSwell’s contacts at your disposal, including the northern and regional governments, local NGO’s, Peruvian and British Universities, and all local Lobitean community organizations.
- Internet access - sometimes limited due to the location’s remoteness. Internet can sometimes be intermittent due to our location so it’s usually reserved for work purposes, but there is always a bit allowed for personal emails, etc. You will be surprised at how much you WON’T be missing it with all the activities going on in Lobitos.
- Vivential experience with the local population, constantly engaging the local community. You will get to know them, work with them and form friendships. This will open your eyes to other kind of lifestyles… and learn to appreciate them.
- Submergence into the EcoSwell lifestyle. Daily world class surfing (all levels), exploring new beaches, yoga, library access, baking/cooking, personal development, constant socialising with other travelers, within other fun activities. We have a lot going on, and you’ll love it. Maybe even a little bit too much… many of our volunteers have come to question their own lifestyles after experiencing ours! Come, try something new whilst you still have time and see for yourself.(Surfing lessons and equipment rentals not included).
- Freedom. We are not one of those organizations which imposes loads of restrictions on our volunteers on what you can and can’t do. We treat our volunteers and interns like adults, and so you are free to behave as one, responsibly. We will make all volunteers/interns fill in an risk assessment before joining us nonetheless, that way we ensure that you know what the risks are and what you shouldn’t do. We’ll give you a heads up on what goes down well and what doesn’t. So no need to worry too much about what you need to do in regards to health and safety and no need to worry about us wanting to “babysit” you.
- Other activities, such as swimming with wild turtles, sea-lion and whale watching, artisanal open sea fishing with local fishermen, within others are affordable and can be arranged but are not included in the programme. These come at an additional cost, but in reality they are very cheap. These activities are payable to the people who run them (ie: the local artisanal fishermen who take you on their boats). We can facilitate this as we have positive relationships with them and it represents an additional source of incomefor their homes, while at the same time giving some of our volunteers experiences that they will never forget. Once in Lobitos, you’ll be able to see what you’d like to do at your own discretion. Regardless of whether you do partake or not in these activities, you will have a blast.
At EcoSwell we work hard in our efforts to develop projects with real impact and that’s why we make sure that we take on the right volunteers and interns. But just as we work hard, we also focus on living life to the fullest and achieving a good life-work balance. It is hard to find another organisation which provides the technical knowledge, hands-on experience, guidance and activities that we undertake, whilst offering all the benefits of being situated in the land of endless summer with some of the best surfing spots in the world at our doorstep (literally located at 300 metres from our front door). The natural exposure Lobitos provides is also hard to match. Interested? then Apply!
As always, if you have any questions or would like to know more about what we have to offer then don’t hesitate to get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org.